Edubuntu thin-client and VirtualBox Guest Additions

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Aug 30 16:30:25 UTC 2012

Hi!

Smoothest first day of school ever!  I have my whole school on Edubuntu
(probably about 75 clients) and I have many applications (web browsers,
the "tux" games, and a few others) all running as localapps...Epoptes is
running very well...I have wake-on-lan working so I can shut down and turn
on machines as needed....life is good.  Except for one thing...

I have a Macbook Pro that I use as my "teaching machine".  It is wired and
hooked to my SmartBoard.  I have a session in VirtualBox that boots to the
network via PXE and thus acts as a thin-client.  Since the thin-client is
"also" on the Mac...my SmartBoard software running on the Mac will also
control the thin-client in VirtualBox....again....life is good.
HOWEVER...since the thin-client is running in a VM I can only get 1024x768
resolution unless I do something like install VirtualBox Guest Additions.
My question is....is there anyway I can force the resolutiuon for the
thin-client running in Virtualbox either via lts.conf...or is there a way
to install the VirtualBox Guest additions so I can get a more acceptable
resolution like 1440x900?  Any ideas welcome.

David Trask
Technology Director/Teacher
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org