LTSP terminal boot message - "saned disabled"

John Hupp edubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Aug 21 20:46:42 UTC 2012

I posted previously about this LTSP terminal boot message in conjunction
with incomplete shutdowns on LTSP terminals.  But now I see that the two
issues are separate.

So a fresh post.

With Lubuntu 12.04 and LTSP installed (the same thing applies to
Edubuntu 12.04), I see a boot message on some terminals connected to
some servers, appearing between the boot splash screen and the login
screen.  The message that appears on a text screen:

     saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned

Research shows that saned is the network scanner service (daemon) for
SANE, which is the Linux scanner driver provision.  It is installed by
the sane-utils package.

I found that on both the LTSP servers I was testing with, sane-utils was
installed.  (In a terminal window, run "dpkg -s sane-utils" to find out
the installation status of the package.)  Yet the "saned disabled"
message appeared on some terminals and not on others.

It turns out that sane can be installed but not run at startup.  Whether
it is run at startup is controlled by the configuration file
/etc/default/saned for the server itself and
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/default/saned for the terminals.

The initial contents of saned showing the RUN variable being set to no
by default:
     # Defaults for the saned initscript, from sane-utils

     # Set to yes to start saned
     RUN=no

     # Set to the user saned should run as
     RUN_AS_USER=saned

So on all the servers and terminals here, saned is set not to run by
default.  It seems that the reason the message appears on some machines
and not on others has to do with the responsiveness of the machine and
questions of timing with the display of windows.  The message is always
generated, just not always seen.

I found the message somewhat disturbing, hence my digging around to find
out what was going on.

The message itself is generated by init shell scripts: /etc/init.d/saned
for the server itself, and /opt/ltsp/i386//etc/init.d/saned for the
terminals.

If you don't want to see the message appearing on your terminals, edit
/opt/ltsp/i386//etc/init.d/saned and comment out the "echo" command that
generates the message.  Make the relevant lines look like this:

if [ "x$RUN" != "xyes" ] ; then
     # echo "$NAME disabled; edit /etc/default/saned"
     exit 0
fi

Then update the LTSP image with:
     sudo ltsp-update-image