Still cannot get lock screen to stay off...please help!

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Aug 17 22:56:00 UTC 2012

Still cannot get lock screen to stay off...please help!  This is
particularly troublesome with machines that auto-login

I'm rolling out my new installation for the whole school (70+ terminals)
and the only hurdle left (that I know of) is disabling screen locking.
 I'd also like to set screen blanking for some ridiculously high number
like 3 hours.  We're an elementary school with a lot of autologin machines
and young kids...we also do online testing.  I can't have screen locking
kicking in all the time...it would really screw things up.  It used to be
easy to disable it, but in 12.04 (precise), I can't seem to get anything
to stick....short of doing it in the GUI and that would be another
nightmare.  I need a command line/script way of disabling screen locking
and setting the screen blanking very high...for ALL users.  So far all the
stuff I've found online doesn't stick.  I've tried gconf-editor (which
won't allow me to access the screen locking key)...I've tried
dconf-editor...(which does, but doesn't seem to do anything for anyone
other than root)....etc.  I really need help  (on my knees and begging)
 ;-)

David Trask
Technology Director/Teacher
Vassalboro Community School