ubuntu 10.04: problems with thin clients hanging on boot

Rippl, Steve rippls at woodlandschools.org
Wed Sep 14 20:25:59 UTC 2011

Hi John,

We hit this in a big way when we first upgraded to 10.04.  The 2 things that
fixed it for us were disabling nbd_proxy in the images (make sure you
run update-initramfs within the chroot of the image, not on the server) and
then making sure we were gig end to end on all our connections.

Now they boot consistently...
Steve

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM, john <lists.john at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem that has persisted since I rolled out Ubuntu 10.04
> with LTSP. In any given lab of 30 clients between 1 and 5 will hang
> after they finish downloading the pxe image and start booting ubuntu.
>  The little dots that show ubuntu is loading will continue forever.
>
> A bit of googling showed me that there had been a bug filed against
> the nbd server that sounded like the problem I was having.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ltsp/+bug/589034
>
> I downloaded the updated ltsp_nbd and followed the steps to disable
> the nbd_proxy but my problem wasn't fixed
>
> I also tried telling nbd to sleep for 5 seconds before continuing as
> method outlined here
> http://www.rickogden.com/2010/06/ltsp-part-2-configuration/
>
> I haven't enabled NBD in my lts.conf file so maybe I am barking up the
> wrong tree here. Can anyone give me some guidance?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

Steve Rippl
Technology Director