Re: Help! 10.04 LTSP configuration using only one nic

Mike Biancaniello mikebianc at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 18:57:10 UTC 2011

sorry, forgot to reply-to-all ...

I'm not sure why you would need iptables if you only have a 1-nic server and fat clients.
I just recently migrated from a 2-nic to a 1-nic setup and the ltsp server is the DHCP server for the entire LAN,
which means I need to specify the MAC addrs that I want to LTSP and then all others by default are just returned the IP info.

If
 you only have 1 subnet on your one NIC, then as long as the LTSP dhcp
server returns network info that matches the server's own (not a second
network like in many of the examples), then you should be fine.

e.g.
In this config, each ltsp client receives an IP on the main LAN.
LocalApps and fat clients can run without any forwarding or NAT or iptables magic from the server.

mike at ltsp-server:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.1.84
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  gateway 192.168.1.1

mike at kidbuntu:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.53

mike at kidbuntu:~$ cat /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative
;ddns-update-style interim
;update-static-leases on
;option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.53

;subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.1.200 192.168.1.250
;  option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255
;  option routers 192.168.1.1
;  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0
;}

group {
  #
  #  These are the hosts that are allowed to pxe-boot
  #
  option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386"
;  if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
    filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0"
;  } else {
    filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img"
;  }
  host kid1   { hardware ethernet 00:0d:56:8c:03:34;
    option host-name "kidputer1"
;    ddns-hostname "kidputer1";
  }
  host kid2   { hardware ethernet 00:0d:56:a6:ff:f5;
    option host-name "kidputer2"
;    ddns-hostname "kidputer2";
  }
}