To Update or Not?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 00:43:51 UTC 2011

Hello,

I hope everyone is well today.

So I came across this article and wondered if it applied to Edubuntu:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/diy-it/why-ive-finally-had-it-with-my-linux-server-and-im-moving-back-to-windows/245

The gist of the rant is that Linux servers are rather unstable because
any upgrade can kill the server, and therefore you should NOT be
updating your machine once it's running perfectly.

I get a notice about different packages having available upgrades on
our production LTSP server at least once a week and for the most part
I always do so -- is this going to suddenly result in a
similiarly-described situation?  Should I turn off all updates?

Thank you
Joseph