Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch
Mon Oct 24 12:51:15 UTC 2011

Am 24.10.2011 13:59, schrieb Robert Curriden:
> Panels, visual effects, plug-ins, forcing the use of Gnome shell...
>
> This move by Canonical is not unlike Microsoft's changing in their own
> UI, and is just as arrogant.

It's not just Canonical, it's everybody! There is a serious conflict
between developers with early adopters versus "users". In my role as a
user I started with KDE 1 and faithfully followed through KDE 2, 3, and
3.5, which did almost everything I wanted and could be configured to be
similar to Gnome, or vice versa. It also worked perfectly with Edubuntu
simply by installing the meta package kubuntu-desktop.

Then came the totally new KDE 4, which is cool, but still doesn't work
well enough for old "users" like me, who also miss some of the features
of KDE 3. I tried it for a while and still have (to have) it installed
for KDE-4-only programs like Marble, but have gone back to KDE 3.5,
which is much faster and less buggy. I also have the classic Gnome
installed of course, but it seems a dead end apparently to be replaced
by something completely different soon. Canonical just preemted this
with Unity, which seems OK for new users and for mobile devices with
small screens, who just want a program starter, but is not something I
want to use myself on a large screen.

I also tried Xubuntu and Lubuntu desktops and will probably use one of
these when KDE 3.5 becomes untenable (it is already deteriorating and
switching between KDE 3 and 4 programs is possible but a bit unnerving
because the look and feel is so different.

In short, this excessive high-speed forking has seriously impaired the
Linux desktop. I wouldn't know what to recommend a business user or
indeed a school. Many organisations are moving from Windows XP to
Windows 7. A switch to KDE 4 would be of the same order of difficulty
and some distributions like Mepis soften the switch remarkably well (I
use Mepis at work). The reason I can't recommend Kubuntu for Edubuntu is
because in my opinion the Kubuntu implementation of KDE 4 has "lost" the
classic desktop users somewhere. I'm sure it could be tweaked by
experts, but it isn't something I can do without losing patience.

BTW, my problems were often a combination of low performance and
usabilty, i.e. a warning appears, in the wrong colours, and disappears
before I can deciffer it, or a button action appears not to work, so you
try a few times and give up, and then after a while you get ten windows
at once.

Best, Theo Schmidt