Edubuntu 11.10: Unity menu don't show in thin client

Stéphane Graber stgraber at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 27 18:06:15 UTC 2011

On 11/27/2011 10:59 AM, Zied ALAYA wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Stéphane Graber
> <stgraber at ubuntu.com <mailto:stgraber at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>

> On 11/26/2011 03:21 PM, Zied ALAYA wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Stéphane Graber
>> <stgraber at ubuntu.com <mailto:stgraber at ubuntu.com>
> <mailto:stgraber at ubuntu.com <mailto:stgraber at ubuntu.com>>> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/24/2011 07:31 PM, Zied ALAYA wrote:
>>> Great it works ! one more problem to solve and it will rock :)
>>>
>>> thin clients have azerty keyboard, but applications consider
>>> it as qwerty ! even when I change keybord layout from
>>> administration panel it did not work.
>>>
>>> what should we do ?
>>>
>>> Regards Zied ALAYA
>>
>> Add: XKBLAYOUT=fr
>>
>> to your lts.conf, this should do the trick.
>>

>> - -- Stéphane Graber Ubuntu developer http://www.ubuntu.com
>>

>> Thanks a lot Stéphane. that solved 50% of the problem ! indeed,
>> users need some times to write with arabic letters. So they need
>> to change keybord layout. But the graphic utility to change  was
>> impossible to run (for thin client and the same for the server):
>> no think appear.
>>
>> Do we miss some thing ? Or should I fill a bug with that ?
>>
>> The same problem was with the graphic utility to administrate
>> users (but here we can prepare some script to make it easy for
>> teachers). -- Cordialement Zied ALAYA LoCo Contact de Ubuntu-tn
>> http://zied-alaya.blogspot.com <http://zied-alaya.blogspot.com/>
>

> Hmm, it seems weird that the keyboard switcher doesn't work on
> LTSP though I haven't tested it myself. I'll poke someone next week
> to check on a test LTSP setup and see where the problem is exactly
> (probably a bug in the indicator).
>
> As a workaround for now, you could create some launcher for your
> users, one starting: setxkbmap -layout fr and the other: setxkbmap
> -layout ara -variant azerty
>
> (that's assuming you want the azerty keyboard for arabic input)
>
> - -- Stéphane Graber Ubuntu developer http://www.ubuntu.com
>

> Well, we hold a little workshop with a group of teachers last
> Friday. it was really important to get more idea about their needs;
> and to present Edubuntu project (also free software).

That's great to hear, please let us know if there's anything you'd
like to get added or changed in Edubuntu.

For 12.04 we'll be focusing mostly on stability and quality, limiting
changes to a bare minimum so we can make sure it's going to be rock
solid for the next 3 or 5 years (still discussing how long we want to
support it).

> Since we are going to prepare some script to simplify configuration
> for them, we thing come back into 10.04 for this year and 12.04
> next year.
>
> two more questions: 1) does Edubuntu 10.04 follow Ubuntu 10.04 ? I
> mean, know we have the 10.04.3 (update 3), did Edubuntu get the
> same think or not ?

Edubuntu 10.04 wasn't an LTS so we didn't get what we call point
releases. However as Edubuntu uses the same repository as Ubuntu, you
can install Edubuntu 10.04, then upgrade it from the Internet and
you'll have it run the same packages as Ubuntu 10.04.3.

The main difference with Edubuntu 10.04 not being an LTS release is
for security updates of educational packages. Anything that's also
part of Ubuntu will have security updates, everything that's Edubuntu
specific won't. Though in the whole history of Edubuntu we only have
to push one security update for our own packages and I did it for
10.04 anyway.

> 2) we want to participate with tests and help to get a great 12.04
> dist :) I tried to add bug entry on launchpad but did'nt succed.
> how to do that ? or what is the best think to do when some one
> found a problem like we did.

Oh, that's weird that Launchpad didn't work for you.
We'd definitely love to have more testers for 12.04. We just got our
first daily build a few days ago and will have our first alpha this
Thursday.

To report bugs with the proper metadata, you should use the command
ubuntu-bug like this (for a ltsp bug): ubuntu-bug ltsp

As our mailing lists are fairly low traffic, if you find a bug and
don't get a reply on Launchpad, you may also mention it here so we can
make sure it gets properly prioritized.

- --
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer