Edubuntu 11.10: Unity menu don't show in thin client

Zied ALAYA zied.alaya at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 27 15:59:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> On 11/26/2011 03:21 PM, Zied ALAYA wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Stéphane Graber
> > <stgraber at ubuntu.com <mailto:stgraber at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On 11/24/2011 07:31 PM, Zied ALAYA wrote:
> >> Great it works ! one more problem to solve and it will rock :)
> >>
> >> thin clients have azerty keyboard, but applications consider it
> >> as qwerty ! even when I change keybord layout from
> >> administration panel it did not work.
> >>
> >> what should we do ?
> >>
> >> Regards Zied ALAYA
> >
> > Add: XKBLAYOUT=fr
> >
> > to your lts.conf, this should do the trick.
> >

> > - -- Stéphane Graber Ubuntu developer http://www.ubuntu.com
> >

> > Thanks a lot Stéphane. that solved 50% of the problem ! indeed,
> > users need some times to write with arabic letters. So they need to
> > change keybord layout. But the graphic utility to change  was
> > impossible to run (for thin client and the same for the server): no
> > think appear.
> >
> > Do we miss some thing ? Or should I fill a bug with that ?
> >
> > The same problem was with the graphic utility to administrate users
> > (but here we can prepare some script to make it easy for
> > teachers). -- Cordialement Zied ALAYA LoCo Contact de Ubuntu-tn
> > http://zied-alaya.blogspot.com <http://zied-alaya.blogspot.com/>
>

> Hmm, it seems weird that the keyboard switcher doesn't work on LTSP
> though I haven't tested it myself. I'll poke someone next week to
> check on a test LTSP setup and see where the problem is exactly
> (probably a bug in the indicator).
>
> As a workaround for now, you could create some launcher for your
> users, one starting: setxkbmap -layout fr
> and the other: setxkbmap -layout ara -variant azerty
>
> (that's assuming you want the azerty keyboard for arabic input)
>
> - --
> Stéphane Graber
> Ubuntu developer
> http://www.ubuntu.com

Well, we hold a little workshop with a group of teachers last Friday.
it was really important to get more idea about their needs; and to present
Edubuntu project (also free software).

Since we are going to prepare some script to simplify configuration for
them, we thing come back into 10.04 for this year and 12.04 next year.

two more questions:
1) does Edubuntu 10.04 follow Ubuntu 10.04 ? I mean, know we have the
10.04.3 (update 3), did Edubuntu get the same think or not ?
2) we want to participate with tests and help to get a great 12.04 dist :)
I tried to add bug entry on launchpad but did'nt succed. how to do that ?
or what is the best think to do when some one found a problem like we did.

--
Cordialement
Zied ALAYA