Firefox caching to NFS mounted home directories killing disk IO on file server

Rippl, Steve rippls at woodlandschools.org
Wed Nov 16 16:31:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Donaldson Jeffrey <jdonaldson at ncs.k12.de.us
> wrote:

> I've been trying for a few days now to get Firefox to cache pages to /tmp
> locally for all users. I updated to Firefox 7, then edited the firefox.js
> in /etc/firefox/pref to include these lines -
>
> pref("general.config.obscure_**value", 0);   (supposed to tell FF not to
> worry about byteshift)
> pref("general.config.filename"**, "firefox.cfg");
>
> I then took a customized firefox.cfg file and placed it in
> /usr/lib/firefox-7.0.1.

This is what we do (to lock down network settings and the like) and it
works.  The only problems I can think of are permissions issues on
 /usr/lib/firefox-7.0.1/firefox.cfg (can the user read it?) and whether you
have an error in the JavaScript in the .cfg file?  Then again this is all
run on the server for us (no local apps), are you running Firefox as a
local app?

For what it's worth, we found that many apps and even the Gnome desktop
itself didn't work that well with nfs mounted home folders for the
students.  We've since moved to having real local folder on each of the
LTSP server (we have multiple load balanced) and we use csync (
http://www.csync.org/) to synchronize those with the central file server on
login/logout and every 10 minutes they're logged in.  Performance went up
dramatically and the load on the file server is almost nothing.

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director