Sabayon and Unity Interface

Rippl, Steve rippls at woodlandschools.org
Tue May 31 17:04:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

There's a thread running at the moment about current versions of
Ubuntu/Edubuntu and their respective support for things, but I'm
specifically interested in (concerned about) the new Unity UI and the
profile lockdown tool Sabayon in future LTS versions.

We've been running pure thin clients (no local apps) in our school district
for a few years now and things are working really very well.  A key part to
it is the fact that Sabayon has worked properly recently.  We're currently
on 10.04 and haven't tested anything later than that yet, but a brief Google
does show up bugs filed against Sabayon to say it isn't working with Unity.
 Now I know that currently you can revert back to the regular Gnome 2, but
what's the direction for 12.04 and 14.04, I don't imagine Gnome 2 will
continue to be around for ever?!  Is there a commitment in the Edubuntu team
to keep Sabayon working as well as it does now (in 10.04)?  We really rely
on it!

Thanks,
Steve

--