Tape Drive for Backups

Lynne Happe lyhappe at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 14:41:30 UTC 2011

I am in the process of buying a new server and networking equipment for a new
charter school here in New Mexico. The company I work for, my real job, uses
Dell servers with RedHat Linux. I plan on using the same Dell server since it is
certified with Ubuntu and because if I have issues I have resources readily
available. My question is about tape drives for backups. We use the
HP StorageWorks Ultrium 448 tape drive for backups, but when looking at this
tape drive it states it works with RedHat Linux, but has no mention of Ubuntu.

I checked out the Ubuntu web page and while they have a list of supported
netbooks, laptops, desktops and servers, I do not see anything about tape
drives. I do not want to spend $1500 on a tape drive that does not work. I do
not need to buy this particular tape drive, it's just what we use and what I'm
familiar with. This is an SAS tape drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have no idea how much data I will need to
backup. Probably not a lot to begin with, but I want something that will work
for 5 years growth. Our school will have about 200 students when we reach full
size in three years, covering K - 8. The server will store a student management
system, library system, web pages (eventually), and user files.

Thanks for any information! If there is a web page with this information, just
let me know.
--
Lynne from NM