configure some clients to boot from fat image

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 24 14:22:30 UTC 2011

Hi Lee

On 03/22/11 13:45, Lee Harr wrote:
> I have a lab of computers running plain LTSP with thin clients.
>
> Some of the clients are more powerful "LTSP Term 1620"s which
> I thought I would try out as fat clients.
>
> They work pretty well as thins. Would you expect them to work
> any better as fat clients?
>

> I built the fat client image with these instructions:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/FatClients
>
> But I'm not sure how to have just those more powerful systems
> boot from the new image. (I don't want to move the fat image
> to /opt/ltsp, I want to leave it at /opt/ltsp-fat)
>
> So, am I modifying /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf ?
> Or is it something in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/ ?
>
> Any hints appreciated.

If the stronger machines have more RAM, you could use FAT_RAM_THRESHOLD
to specify which clients should run as fat and which thin. So in your
lts.conf you could have something like:

"""
[default]

   FAT_RAM_THRESHOLD=512

[00:A1:08:11:F2:C8]

    LTSP_FATCLIENT=false
"""

In the above example, machiens above 512MB or RAM will start a fat
client session. A machine with more than 512MB of RAM can be set to use
a thin client session by using the LTSP_FATCLIENT directive.

HTH

-Jonathan