dbus daemon/messagebus 100% CPU usage

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 18:42:15 BST 2010

Jordan,

Thanks for the link but I don't think it is that issue as I'm not
getting error messages in the log files.  Running dpkg
--get-selections shows that the two systems have exactly the same
packages installed.  I have between 40 and 50 users logged onto the
server at any given time.  It is rather random as the system can run
fine for a day or so and then suddenly have this issue.

I have already rebuilt the server once a few weeks ago. That was when
I made certain that is was a 'clone' of the other server.  I used the
--get-selections and --set-selections to ensure that apt installed
only those packages.

The only clue I have at present is that npviewer.bin (flash?) will
segfault at times though the system doesn't misbehave when this
happens. It is probably just one line in a log file that I haven't
located which the clue I need, but if I can't resolve it quickly, I'll
probably have to try upgrading the systems to Lucid (10.04) although
from some traffic on the lists, it seems lucid comes with its own set
of issues.

Thanks!
Dave ...