Ubuntu in Education resources from Canonical

Veli-Matti Lintu veli-matti.lintu at opinsys.fi
Mon Sep 6 10:13:50 BST 2010

Hi,

It has been really interesting to read all the stories posted here, so I
thought to share my (and my colleagues) experiences. The message got a
bit long, so I posted it also in blog for easier reading here:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/ubuntu-in-education-in-finland

As I'm working for Opinsys, a solution provider in Finland, that builds
systems for schools using Ubuntu, I first thought that this was an easy
task - just write down a bunch of things and fire it away. But when I
read the other responses around the world, I realised how little I know
about Ubuntu usage in schools outside Finland. As that probably holds
true for others about Finland, here's some background information in
form of links:

      * http://www.opinsys.fi/en/mista-on-hyvat-koulu-tehty
      * http://www.osor.eu/news/fi-over-a-hundred-schools-using-open-source
      * http://flosse.blogging.fi/2010/07/28/state-of-open-source-software-in-finnish-schools-some-good-news-something-crucial-still-missing
      * http://bit.ly/amFiOO (map of schools using FOSS in Finland)

Every country has its own history and traditions, so many of the little
things we do to get things working here are probably not needed
elsewhere. Still many of the general computing trends apply also to
Finland. Here are some things that come in to my mind in random order:

      * Finnish is a tiny language and there's a lot of local content
        and legacy applications that are needed. Content in English
        language doesn't really help here.
      * There are a lot of video formats and flash content and at least
        one big content provider still uses Macromedia Shockwave for
        some of it.
      * Many teachers expect content to match the national curriculum.
      * The trend for new stuff is towards online content and web
        applications
      * Internet connection speeds in most areas are not a problem. ADSL
        is available everywhere and more and more schools have fiber
        connections. There are usually no backup connections, though, so
        the systems must work for a few days or a week without internet
        connection.
      * Web applications like Moodle are deployed in a lot of places.
        Some are hosting it themselves, some are buying it as a service.
      * As a sparsely populated country we have long distances. As there
        are a lot of little schools that don't have resources to offer a
        lot of options, distance learning is used. This way also the
        pupils in remote areas have the same options as in the bigger
        city schools. Unfortunately there are not too many good tools
        for this. E.g. Adobe ConnectPro is being used in some places,
        but OpenMeetings is gaining interest.
      * In addition to web applications, interactive whiteboards (e.g.
        Smartboards) are being deployed in a lot of schools and many
        schools have them installed in every classroom.
      * Schools have a lot of old computers for which LTSP is a perfect
        choice
      * Laptops are getting more and more common, both personal and
        shared ones: http://www.opinsys.fi/en/en-laptops-in-schools
      * Even if wikis, blogs, Google Apps and other online tools are
        getting more common, file based documents and printing are still
        used a lot - easy file sharing and file transfer to/from home
        are needed
      * If computers are not reliable and consistent, they are not being
        used at all
      * Students' own mobile devices (= smart phones, etc) are being
        used in schools. Their utilization as tools to e-learning
        systems grows. There will be a need to get access to the same
        information as from computers
      * Teachers show high resolution videos to students. This should
        always work.
      * Teaching methods encourage co-operation between schools. Ad hoc
        information sharing is needed as well as formal interface
        between the systems. Security issues and privacy laws are most
        often neglegted but they should be seriously considered at
        design phase. Teachers want to "just make it work" and do not
        pay attention to legal issues.
      * Computer labs are gradually being dismantled. Instead computers
        are placed in classrooms, hallways, etc. They are often used as
        a quick tool to communicate or gather information.

What do these mean for people building their systems with Ubuntu? Here
are some critical issues that are not always working out-of-the-box:

      * Interactive whiteboards need drivers and features that match
        Windows/Mac versions
      * Every laptop model needs to be tested in person before one can
        say how well they work - no online resource tells enough
        information about the models available in warehouses.
        Backporting drivers is needed quite often to get the newest
        models working with older Ubuntu versions.
      * Web applications require central user database and
        authentication services (LDAP/kerberos/CAS/etc.)
      * Firefox+plugins need to support all newest web applications in
        addition to the oldest sites there are
      * Printing needs to work every time, everywhere
      * Transferring/sharing files within and outside of the school's
        environment needs easy to use solutions
      * Cloud based applications are not suitable for everything (e.g.
        differing privacy laws make it difficult to use some cloud based
        services outside EU)
      * A lot of applications are in universe repository and getting
        fixes and updates for them means usually backporting and
        patching
      * Applications and the whole system needs to be updated and there
        needs to be good support system in place for end-users in their
        own language. Training is necessary to get people confident with
        a new system and also when there are changes or new features.
        Massive number of devices is not enough if no-one wants to use
        them.

Getting everything working right takes some work and it is certainly
doable, but as a perfectionist I believe that everything can be made
always better and easier.

Veli-Matti