Ubuntu in Education resources from Canonical

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 15:06:22 BST 2010

You should probably be aware that almost all of Spain is using Linux in the
educational sector with Ubuntu being the leading provider in that area.
Every public school in Andalucia (Southern Spain) for example, which include
about 5000 servers and 1 million+ computers run Guadalinex-edu which is a
direct distro copy of Ubuntu + educational apps chosen for this market
sector.
Further East, the region of Extremadura, the entire region uses LTSP based
Debian for all their public schools. In Cataluña, opensuse-edu is being used
for the entire school region, Madrid uses Ubuntu for its public school
system, Castilla and Leon uses Ubuntu too.
The entire country of Portugal uses Caixa Magica LTSP which is based on
Mandriva.

So for the Iberic peninsula (Spain + Portugal) I would estimate a good  6-7
million computers running Educational Linux (mostly ubuntu)

kind regards,
David Van Assche

P.S. I manage a couple of private schools in Southern Spain running LTSP
Edubuntu.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Belinda Lopez
<belinda.lopez at canonical.com>wrote:

> [...]
> From my point of view, a critical resource would be a complete set of
> tutorials on setting up a LTSP lab in a school with Lucid.  It needs an
> easily-updatable pathway to create a 10.10 BasicSetup page...  With a good
> 'Hub' page Edubuntu would be open to many more tech inclined educators...
>
> Good luck
> David
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Caroline Meeks <caroline at meekshome.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Belinda,
>>
>> You might want to talk to Maine Open 1 to 1 (open1to1.org) they are a
>> Ubuntu netbook remix remix that is being used by a couple thousand students
>> in Maine on netbooks.  There are also deployments in NH and VT.  They just
>> started last year, this year they are working on being more involved in the
>> Ubuntu community.  We are also working to put Sugar, which is currently
>> being ported to Ubuntu (Ubuntu Sugar Remix) into this remix also.
>>
>> I am working with the Boston area Ubuntu community and folks from Tufts
>> and Harvard to do a stick based deployment in Somerville where we will give
>> families in housing projects refurbished computers and each person in the
>> family a bootable USB sticks with Open 1 to 1 (or maybe a different mix of
>> software for the parents).  We will work with community computer centers to
>> give classes and use these spaces to provide internet access.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>>
>> Thanks for doing this work.
>>
>> Caroline
>>
>>  On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Belinda Lopez <
>> belinda.lopez at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Greetings all!
>>>   I'm working on a short-term assignment to review and update
>>> Canonical's Ubuntu in Education resources.  This includes making the
>>> various websites easier to use for end user like students, parents,
>>> educators as well as solution providers and others who want to do
>>> business in the Education market place using Ubuntu and its
>>> derivatives.  The Education sector is an important space on many levels
>>> to both Canonical and Ubuntu.  I can't make any promises other than it
>>> being a personal goal of mine to help drive the adoption of Ubuntu in
>>> Education at every level so for starters I'm opening up the dialog with
>>> the community on best to use the limited resources Canonical currently
>>> has to develop some new content for the following audiences:
>>>
>>> End users: students, parents, educators
>>> School level adoptions: decision makers
>>> District/regional deployments; policy makers
>>> Solution Providers: those delivering services and hardware to the
>>> Education sector.
>>>
>>> If you have any thoughts on what each audience needs to know please
>>> voice your thoughts here or email me privately.  I've also added this
>>> item to the Edubuntu meeting agenda to help further the conversation.
>>>
>>> Also, does anyone have idea of how many schools might be using
>>> Ubuntu/Edubuntu? or if there is some place we can ask people to let us

>>> Canonical
>>> http://www.edubuntu.org