Issue with floppy drives

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 21:38:48 BST 2010

All my users are in Domain Users, but they only see their own devices,
not sure why. However, at the server console, all the local floppies
for all the thin clients show up as attached devices ... sort of like
what you seen when you insert a CD into the server's CDROM and it
automounts and places an icon on the desktop.  As each thin client
boots, I get another floppy icon at the console. This behavior is new
since on the initial install, I did not get this behavior initially.
However, after recent patches, this is what I get.  I did install
iTalc, so perhaps that is somehow related.

I'm not overly adverse to upgrading to 10.04 except that we have had
some issues with the thin client hardware not being 100% recognized by
Xorg.  I now have custom xorg.conf files for some systems to get
around glitches with the graphics.  Since the start-up of the new
school year has been a bit rough, I'd rather not put 10.04 onto the
teachers immediately. I do have a 32bit server I can move to 10.04 for
testing though. Although, my issues that I see are with the x86_64
servers, not the i386 systems.

Sincerely,
Dave ...