Dbus issues

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:55:25 BST 2010

I'm hoping someone on the list can help with the following: On one of
my servers, the load average hit 400 ... the only error that shows up
is:

GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor: invoking IsSupported() failed for remote
volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.GduVolumeMonitor:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible
causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the
message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
expired, or the network connection was broken.

DNS-SD initialization failed: An unexpected D-Bus error occured

This seems to happen randomly, though not so severe as a load average
of 400.  The system is a dual-quad AMD system (64bit) running Karmic
with all patches. Home directories are nfs mounted from a file server
running RHEL5.4.  I have an ldap authentication server (RHEL 5.4) and
DNS is also handled from a server running RHEL 5.4.  IOW only my ltsp
servers are using Ubuntu.  I have nscd running on the ubuntu systems.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School