cant start netbook desktop on VirtualBox VM

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 13 13:36:04 BST 2010

Hi Joao

On 13/10/2010 04:40, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
> I am a Linux / Debian / *buntu user for some time now. Great software :)
>
> I was trying out edubuntu 10.01 for my 9 year old boy. I installed it on
> a VirtualBox VM and I requested the instalation of the Netbook Desktop.
>
> It happens that in the VirtualBox environment (I did not yet try the
> 'real' computer) I get an error message when I try to load the "Ubuntu
> Netbook Edition" Desktop. Then I just get re-directed to the login page
> again.
>
> The message says:
>
> "No required driver detected for unity
> You will need to choose the Ubuntu Desktop session once you select your
> username
> ..."
>
> Is there any way around this on the VM ? My intention is just to give it
> a try at the Netbook interface and ask my son if he'dd like to have that
> or the usual one. He is an Ubuntu 8.10 fan since 7 years old :)

Unfortunately the new Ubuntu Netbook interface (called Unity), requires
3D accelerated graphics to work properly. You could try to enable 3D
graphics for the virtual machine in VirtualBox, if your host has a good
display card and drivers it should work ok.

Otherwise, you could select a Gnome desktop by choosing it on the login
screen just after you have chosen the username.

What we'll do for the next release is work with the Qimo project to
include a child-friendly gnome desktop that wouldn't require any fancy
hardware. In the meantime, apologies for any inconvenience!

-Jonathan