Wiping donated computers for recycling question

Belinda Lopez belinda.lopez at canonical.com
Thu Nov 18 18:38:47 GMT 2010

Hi all,
   I'm writing up a short guide for recycling computers with
Ubuntu/Edubuntu so they can be donated and reused.  One of the questions
I have is:  Does the standard installation process where one selects
'Use entire disk' do a good enough job of wiping the hard drive of any
prior data?

Given that most of these systems will be used in schools or by kids,
these organisations want to avoid any possibility that any old data
might be left on the systems.

thanks all!

Dinda

Education