Netlive for: Life after LTSP

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:22:36 GMT 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 1:57 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 12:34:29 PM -0800, Robert Arkiletian (robark at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, the days of LTSP are numbered. For a few different
>  reasons.

I kind of regret putting it that way. How I really feel is that I
think LTSP is great for re-using old systems as thin clients OR for
use with real thin clients. I used K12LTSP for 4 years with P2's as
clients. It was great!

When I got brand new desktop systems from my school, that's when I
decided to switch to DRBL.

Both DRBL and LTSP have their pluses and minuses. Use what fits best
for you. My intention was not to diminish LTSP but rather to bring
about more awareness of the DRBL option.

>> 1) hardware is so cheap now. You can buy a brand new power efficient
>> and fast desktop system for about $200 (not including monitor).
>> Thin clients are actually *more* expensive now.
>
> Robert,
>
> if you think LTSP is getting outdated for the reasons you've mentioned
> in this post, you may want to have a look at Netlive:
>
> http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/netlive-an-interesting-alternative-to-the-linux-terminal-server-project/
>
> which was created to be an LTSP alternative _also_ for some of the
> reasons you've listed.

Netlive looks very interesting. Especially for almost zero setup time.
A live distro that serves out another live distro. Well done.

DRBL does something similar, you guys may be able to collaborate with them.

http://drbl.sourceforge.net/one4all/techrpt.php?c=drbl-SL.sh&t=Load%20Small%20GNU/Linux%20%28DSL,%20PuppyLinux,%20INSERT,%20or%20PLD%29%20into%20DRBL%20environment

--
Robert Arkiletian