restrict DHCP addresses?

ekul taylor ekul.taylor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 01:16:14 GMT 2010

To do this you would edit the dhcp server config file to only have as many
addresses as you have clients.  The downside is if you ever add another
client you have to increase the address space so I'm not sure I would shrink
it all the way down.

Back to your initial question, the file you need to edit is
/etc/dhcp3/dhcp.conf.  You are interested in the "range" line that tells the
dhcp server what pool of addresses it should assign from.  You would set
that to whatever you want and then restart the dhcp server with:
/etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart
Assuming it starts okay (you can make sure in /var/log/daemon.log) you'd be
all set.