ipcop and network settings

dbclinton dbclin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 05:38:02 GMT 2010

In case this is useful to anyone, I've worked out my configuration and
Ipcop is getting along just fine alongside my thin client network. I
simply removed any mention of eth0 (the Ipcop NIC) from
/etc/network/interfaces, allowing Ipcop to control it, and then ran
interfaces (maintaining the original 192.168.0.254 address of eth1) to
take care of the ltsp configuration.
Now that I'm configuring the firewall itself, however, I wonder why
there isn't an easier way to really block users from dancing right
around the proxy walls. Wouldn't this be a rather serious concern of
anyone deploying to large educational environments? Unless you do some
pretty unconventional configuring, all it would take for a kid to break
out to a wide-open Internet is to set Firefox to "no proxy"!
Has this bothered anyone? Isn't there a more straightforward fix than
adding custom rules to iptables?
David