Getting LDAP authentication caching working on 10.04

Andrew Chlup chlupa at vail.k12.az.us
Wed Jun 23 21:06:36 BST 2010

Hi Everybody,

I'm a relative Linux noob and I'm struggling to get my LDAP users authenticated when they are away from a network.

Scenario:
A student logs in at school via LDAP (No problems).
Student goes home and doesn't have Internet or LDAP is not available
Student's screen saver came up and they need to authenticate but can't without network connectivity.

I've tried to implement the steps from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PamCcredsHowto .

This gives me a message that says that validation is happening though cached credentials, but then authorization fails.

I need to figure out a way to get this working.....any thoughts? Anybody try SSSD?

Thanks!
Andy