no sound after install

Miche Llanas miche at thewidercircle.org
Thu Jun 10 17:14:01 BST 2010

I am a new user and have installed 10.04 from the Edubuntu iso download.
I'm running on an HP desktop (Intel P4).  Things are working great, except
that I have no sound.  This machine previously had Kubuntu installed and
sound worked.

I have done some basic trouble shooting.  I know that my speakers are not
muted and have controls available in sound preferences.  When playing music
in Rythmbox or an internet video in a mozilla window, the applications
indicate that sound is being played (counter moves, no error messages) but
nothing comes out of the speakers.

I followed the steps at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
Information follows this message.

I verified that my soundcard is supported by ALSA and it's the right module,
but I started getting lost in Codec information and a patch for this
particular soundcard.  I am a very new user, but I can follow directions.

Thanks!

sudo aplay -l
 *** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH5]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ICH5 [Intel ICH5], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH5 -
IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Sound modules are installed.

lspci -v | less

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 12bc
        I/O ports at 1000 [size=256]
        I/O ports at 1400 [size=64]
        Memory at fc480400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at fc480600 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
        Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0