LTSP woes with Lucid Lynx

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 6 21:22:51 BST 2010

Hi Andrew

On 05/06/2010 23:47, Andrew wrote:
> I am posting this here in the hope that someone may be able to offer
> some suggestions, or, even better, some nuggets of insight, to help me
> out of this hole here I've got myself into ...
>
> In summary, I've installed ltsp-server-standalone in a fresh install of
> 10.04, built the client environment, and configured dhcp as I would have
> done for 8.04 [which used to work perfectly]. lts.conf and the pxelinux
> boot options are defaulted. My thin clients [old PIIIs with no discs and
> with PXE cards] find the server no problem, download the kernel without
> a hitch, but then blank screen when attempting to boot up. No login
> screen, no splash, no nothing ;-( The keyboard is still 'responsive' [I
> can do Ctrl-Alt-F keys] but other than that I have a totally blank
> screen forever.
>
> My journey to date is documented here:

> I'm not sure what else to try. I could try different XSERVER config
> options in the lts.conf but am not sure why I would need to.
>
> Suggestions most welcome!! :)

Could you post the specifications of those machines? It could be that
they have some old display cards that are no longer supported, or
perhaps they just don't have enough RAM for Lucid anymore.

I think it would be really nice if LTSP could spew out some diagnostic
information if X doesn't start up successfully, it would be really
useful in cases like these.

-Jonathan