Do I need LDAP or just Samba??

Jim Christiansen jim.c.christiansen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 19:58:13 GMT 2010

I've been running 100 LTSP clients from 3 independent servers for years now
and finally have an immediate need to have WinXP boxes access linux student
homes and authenticate using the same linux logons if possible.

The requirement is only for one server and 30 dualbooting clients/winxp
stand-alones in one classroom.  I have a windose app that requires a real
windows xp install to function.  My preference would be to have students in
a winxp boot-up to be authenticated by the linux server.  Also, I would like
the students to be able to access their own homes, or the very least- a
folder accessible to all, on the linux server with write access.

The server is an Ubuntu 9.04 install with the ltsp thrown on top.  The
installs for LDAP have always looked so difficult...  Do I need LDAP or just
Samba??

If I only need Samba, is there a good how to somewhere?

Thanks,  Jim