LDAP client question

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:18:50 GMT 2010

Well, I've found my next issue in trying to move to edubuntu instead of
K12LTSPEL.

I have a openldap authentication server based on RHEL 5. All servers nfs
mount the home directories from my file servers.  My other LTSP servers are
configured to use the authentication server. The process is very simple
using the gui to simply specify the ldap server.  However, in looking at
edubuntu, I'm not sure what the appropriate process is to get ldap
authentication set up properly.  The wiki mentions manually loading and then
editing various configuration files but that seems to be post version 7?
There is also mention of a script that can be used but that comes with a
warning about the script possibly getting some entries in the files
incorrect and locking me off of the server completely.

So ... is there a simple way to get my new edubuntu servers to use my ldap
authentication server(s)?  And in any event, what are the correct
instructions to follow?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins