Teachers and Edubuntu and more

Steve Rippl rippls at woodlandschools.org
Tue Jan 19 22:16:59 GMT 2010

David Groos wrote:
> What do you think?  Should we expand our community with additional
> channels of communication specifically designed for 'teachers'?
> Should we seek to invite educational researchers into our community?
> Any proposal such as this is fraught with the dangers and benefits of
> change.  What are the risks and what are the benefits as you see them?
I whole heartedly agree with the spirit of this, and I'll just chime in
with a bit from the School District Tech Director perspective (not
developer, not teacher, just the guy in the middle!)

Most teachers, even the really tech savvy ones that we have, aren't
going to want to get onto any irc channel, especially one that has
developers talking 'geek'.

A separate mailing list for 'Edubuntu in action' sounds like a good
idea, and if that's already there with ubuntu-education all well and
good.  Looking back a little on it's archives it looks like the place a
teacher would go.  Who "oversees" this list?  I would think to make it
effective for what I'm imagining all tech related queries would have to
be directed to another list to encourage this one to remain focused on
the education aspect.  Anyway, I just subscribed to see for myself!

I think the idea of using Moodle to develop further resources is an
excellent one.  I have a number of teachers using Moodle in their
classrooms and thin-clients for student access to it all.  They're at a
Middle/High School level, so the emphasis isn't about how to use this
app or that app so much, but rather how utilize these tools to get
across your curriculum, how to manage a class in a lab environment, what
other online or local app resources are available and applicable.  So I
think a conversation needs to happen with teachers about their
perspective, what is the help/support/encouragement/tools that they need.

So what can I offer?  Well between myself and some of our teachers we
have quite a bit of Moodle experience.  I can also try to persuade some
of our more "up-for-it" teachers to tune into a mailing list and chime
in with their views (I said try, teachers are a group that already feel
pushed and don't often want to take on even more!).  Where should this
happen?

Overall I think getting more input from teachers and researchers would
be great.  Having teachers start to feel part of the community based
around the tools they use would be fantastic!

Steve

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director