Do you upgrade your chroot?

Andy Figueroa figueroa at andyfigueroa.us
Mon Jan 4 01:36:42 GMT 2010

Good question.  I've had a small seven client LTSP computer lab running
for about 18 months now.  It's running on Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04).  I have
upgraded the chroot several times just to keep up-to-date for the sake
of security.  (apt-get update then apt-get upgrade following the
instructions in the Edubuntu handbook)

Since you asked the question, I've just done it again a few minutes ago
- good timing - since school starts back again tomorrow after the
Christmas holiday.

I was surprised to see that the last time I did this and rebuilt the
image was in February 2009.  The old i386.img was 291954688 and the new
image is 350814208.  No apparent issues. Tomorrow we'll see if the
clients boot all right.  :-)

I'm using/booting kernel vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic although -26 has been
installed during regular updates.

Andy Figueroa