Looking for recomendations: scanner

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:24:36 GMT 2010

Hi David,

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, David Groos wrote:

> I'm looking to get a scanner or two in my classroom and want to get
> something that works well with Edubuntu thin clients.  I'm not very
> knowledgeable about scanners and would appreciate you sharing your
> experience and advice.  Not looking for anything high end but also want
> something that is fairly durable.  I know that scanner and durable are
> basically at opposite ends of the spectrum, but I'm sure some are tougher
> than others.

Scanners that work with Linux work through SANE (which is to scanners what
CUPS is to printers).  There is a device list on the site:

	http://www.sane-project.org/

The trouble is that I'm not sure you can just hook up a scanner to a thin
client and expect it to work -- unless you're running the scanning
application as a local app.  It's possible that since my last look ltsp now
transparently deals with scanners, in which case forget my concerns.

As far as I recall, SANE is network capable, so you can have a scanner on a
particular machine or machines and let people connect to it over the
network to scan something.  This might be a nice way to do things if you
have a room full of thin clients which occasionally need to scan things.

	http://penguin-breeder.org/sane/saned/