/etc/environment weirdness on fat client

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 14:18:11 GMT 2010

I now have a fat client that cost $190 to build running on the same
network as all my thin clients and it is blazingly fast. My students
can't wait for more to come in.

I teach computer programming, so I've had to install a couple of
things that aren't in the package system, and it's a little tricky to
get installed .desktop files to show up. (For example, if you install
Chrome, it doesn't show up.) Running

$ /usr/share/gnome-menus/update-gnome-menus-cache
/usr/share/applications > desktop.en_US.utf8.cache

fixed the problem. Obviously, use a different locale if you don't
speak US English.

Anyway, on to the problem...

I have set a couple of additions to the PATH variable in
/opt/ltsp/amd64/etc/environment file, but when a user logs in, they
don't show up when s/he does $ echo $PATH in the terminal. Any idea
where the PATH might be getting overridden or why the system doesn't
pick up the /etc/environment file from the client's image?

Thanks,
Todd