Acer Netbooks + Edubuntu

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon Aug 23 12:03:59 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 12:15 +0200, Lenin wrote:
> Looks promising.
>
> We have to set up the lab in one of the primary school classrooms. For cost
> considerations we most probably will have to go for a thin client setup, but
> I do agree (the admin people at school also) that portable solutions are
> better and we need to look at it.

Hi Lionel

We've been working with small a device called an eBox (not related to
the eBox Platform software).  The specs on these units are:

1 GHz processor (non-Intel)
512MB RAM
built-in sound card
1 x VGA port
1 x PS/2 port (keyboard or mouse)
3 x USB ports
1 x 10/100 Ethernet port
1 x Compact flash slot
1 x SD card slot
1 x mic socket
1 x earphone socket

I have been using these devices with Xubuntu and Ubuntu Server Edition
installed on an SD card.  They work nicely.

However, I does take some work to get Ubuntu installed, you can't
install directly.  Since it requires a special kernel it may take some
work to get it working with LTSP as well.

The devices you need start at around R1,600.  You can add an LCD +
keyboard + mouse to it for about R900-R1000.  So the total cost of the
thin client is in the same ballpark as the Netbooks we are trying to
get.

If you interested in going this route let me know.  I've been planning
to use these guys for the same purpose (i.e. Edubuntu LTSP).  Maybe we
could work together.

There are still some negotiations to do before we could get the netbooks
and I have no timelines.  But with the eBox option we could start
straigh away.

Contact me off-list if you want to talk details.

Regards
Charl