Printer on thin client network--says it's working but isn't

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 14:55:37 BST 2009

Ben,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Ben Francis <wirelessben at gmail.com> wrote:

> David,
> Is ICMP disabled? It would explain being able to receive an IP but unable
> to ping.

Not sure.  I'll investigate the topic this evening.

> $ telnet <printer ip> <printer port>
>
> is a way to test. HP network printers have telnet built in.

When I try 192.168.1.6 (IP of printer) it hangs at "Trying 192.168.1.6..."
When I try 192.168.1.9100 or 192.168.1.6:631 I get, "nodename nor servname
provided, or not known".

> By the way, is 192.168.0.1 the IP of the server or the printer? It seems
> like a server address to me.

It is the server... do I have something backwards?

> You should be able to set a static IP address on the printer through
> telnet<http://www.cd-mp3.net/articles/18487-How-Do-You-Telnet-Into-HP-Printer.html> or
> the printer's menu.
>

> Your project is great. Good luck.

Thanks Ben--while it's true that I am leading this charge, it really is a
team effort--thanks to all those who have helped/are helping/will help pull
this project out of technological mud holes!

David