Best way(s) to speed up lab?

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 14:14:52 BST 2009

Last spring I ran 8.04 and while firefox ran acceptably, CmapTools was
unworkable.  After 3 students launched it, the server would become
unresponsive--actually, getting the 3rd thin client to launch cmaptools was
very slow--cpu's were maxed out.  I was using a xeon, 2 processor, dual core
(total of 4 cpu's) running at 2.4 GHz w/ 3 gigs ram, clients were 933 MHz,
PIII's, and I had 17 clients running at the same time.

Now I've upgraded the server to Jaunty and localapps.  I also got a hold of
some P4's running between 1.4 and 2.6 GHz with either 256 megs ram or 512
and so have upgraded my thin clients with these machines.  While I haven't
yet done classroom load tests (next week!!!) from my initial tests with a
P4, 512 meg ram, using  both firefox and cmaptools as localapps, the client
blazes away.  And of course, since they are localapps, little/no strain is
put on the server.  I'll report back next week with more results.  Also,
will try with a P3 running the localapps.

David

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Asmo Koskinen <asmo.koskinen at arkki.info>
wrote:

Andy Figueroa kirjoitti:

> There was a discussion here a couple of months ago about the various
> programs/scripts different system admins run to kill off stale
> processes.

It's here.

http://marc.info/?l=ltsp-discuss&m=125066771219642&w=2

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/GnomeWatchdog