How likely to work would a Jaunty-to-Karmic server upgrade, be?

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 03:04:14 GMT 2009

Thanks Gavin for sending your ideas!  See below for comment.

> Not sure where to look from here. Any ideas?
>
> A couple of suggestions:
>
> == Try Manual TFTP Download ==
>
> Could you install a tftp client package (tftp, atftp, tftp-hpa) and try
> downloading the images which the dhcp server is handing out?
>
> You should be able to look in the dhcp config and work out what the correct
> kernel and ramdisk images are, then download them with tftp (from a laptop
> if possible, not from the server).   This will verify that your clients can
> actually download the TFTP image (that's what appears to be timing out).

Didn't really get this so tried the next idea...

> == Watch tftp traffic on the server ==
>
> You could also watch the tftp traffic on the server by running (on the
> server):
>        sudo tcpdump -i eth0 'udp port 69'
>
> (assuming eth0 is the interface which points at your thin clients, if not
> change that).  Then boot a thin client and see what packets go back and
> forth.  If you don't see requests, they're not getting to the server for
> some reason.  If you see requests and no responses, that might indicate
> your tftp server is broken.
>
> Let us know how you get on.
>
> Gavin

After school I again was able to look at things and I tried your second
idea.  Now, strangely enough, the client boot quite a bit further than
before and I hadn't (purposefully) done any changes, just booted the server,
opened the terminal and typed in above command, then tried to boot the thin
client.  Thanks to my cell phone camera I recently got I easily recorded the
client screen and server screen and have posted them on my
site<http://plonedev.mpls.k12.mn.us/gcos09/Members/mrg/edubuntu-images/>.