why is firefox such a CPU hog?

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 17 12:38:50 GMT 2009

Hi john

john wrote:
> Thanks in advance for your ideas!

I am personally also quite frustrated with Firefox performance issues-
and that's just on a standalone machine. I installed Chromium from the
daily build PPA's and it's shaping up very nicely. Performance-wise it's
definitely better than Firefox, and it doesn't seem to accumulate memory
 so much like firefox does when you leave it open.

Perhaps you could give that a try as well? I installed it from the PPA
at https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa and the package
name is chromium-browser.

It may be worth while giving a shot on LTSP as well :)

-Jonathan