why is firefox such a CPU hog?

Joseph Hartman jlhartman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:24:40 GMT 2009

Hi John, I may be wrong but I think the issue is primarily with flash. I may
be completely incorrect here but I ran into the same thing a while back and
if I remember correctly (and was told correctly in the first place) the fact
is that flash is being processed at the server rather than the clients and
then the server is trying to push those processes across the LAN instead of
just forwarding the packets to the individual client for processing. Google
Apps has a similar issue since it is quite resource intensive as well. You
could uninstall flash if you want (which is what I did) but your solution
lies in local apps, as anything short of an all gigabit LAN is going to have
the same troubles. 2 Ghz 512 MB RAM is more than adequate. I'm running
firefox as a local app on a server similar to yours with 800 Mhz P3 clients
w/ 256 MB RAM and Google Apps works acceptably well (which means it runs as
well as it would on a stand alone machine of the same specs). Flash is still
really slow, but P4s would handle it fine. If you want to move to Karmic
with local apps I'm available to help you through the process. It would only
take a couple of hours. -joe