Too much network activity?

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 16:31:12 GMT 2009

Seeing Jim's e-mail about his computers being slow to log on is motivating
me to re-post to this previous post.  I'll repeat that since the last few
weeks, students have to wait maybe 2-4 minutes for their log on process to
finish.  I don't think it's worse in the afternoon though--students are less
patient at that time it seems.

I haven't added new software to my LTSP server except for regular updates.
I've had System Monitor on the last week a good bit.  2 things draw my
attention, the first I already mentioned that there is a lot of network
activity even when only 1 TC is booted.  The other is that the 4 CPU's seem
to be maxing out for a few seconds then go to around 60-70% about for 5-10
seconds, then again max out for a few seconds.  When they peg at 100% it
appears that's when another TC or 2 will get further logged in.  I'm not
sure about how much logging in happens during that maxing out period, but
that is when the logging in process seems to get furthered.

I went to the logs, looked at a few but didn't know where to look and
nothing really jumped out to me.  Any thoughts about how to further
troubleshoot this?  Might be related to Jim's TC problems, too, anyone else
experiencing this?

Thanks,
David