Edubuntu additions for small schools

Andy Figueroa figueroa at andyfigueroa.us
Mon May 25 16:26:57 BST 2009

I, too, am a one-man IT department for a small school.

With the included Linux/Unix tools, additional tools don't seem to be called
for.  Here is the script that I use to populate a fresh install of Edubuntu
with users.  This only shows two users, but my real script is 153 of users
long.  it's just a bash/shell script that you run from the command line (as
root, or with sudo, of course):

#!/bin/sh
useradd -m -G scanner,plugdev,audio,video,cdrom,games,fuse -s /bin/bash cfreeman
useradd -m -G scanner,plugdev,audio,video,cdrom,games,fuse -s /bin/bash
jbfreeman
echo "Run 'chpasswd < pw2' to establish initial password for new user."

The second file (pw2) is just a text file listing users and their passwords
like this:

jbfreeman:notrealpw1
cfreeman:notrealpw2

All this doesn't do is use a machine generated password.  The problem I have
with machine generated passwords is that the students cannot remember them.
 So, I use a password scheme they can remember, but not guess.

You don't maintain the files in OpenOffice, but you can use any text editor.
 I use vi, but could just as well use nano, MousePad, gedit, etc.

For what it's worth, I also back up the entire /home directory every night
to a tar gz archive, so I can restore student's configuration and files to a
fresh server in just a few minutes.

My students, 4th grade through 12th grade, really like Edubuntu and use it
heavily.  With 7 workstations, the lab is often full.  Last year's /home
backup file was 41 megs.  This year's backups run about 4 gigs.

I'd be happy to continue discussion along these lines.

Andy Figueroa
Ohio, USA