LTSP testing in Jaunty - how fat is local apps?

Reiner Schmid reischmid at gmx.de
Sat Mar 28 15:21:41 GMT 2009

Hello,
> I've found fatclient to be sufficient on 800mhz + 300mb+ (ram more
> important than cpu)

I can confirm this (ram more important) .

Testing with my clients some weeks ago : CPU  1GHz and 512 MB are enough
to work fine as a (nubae) fat client.  (With 256 ram it was not possible
in a good way)

But in my classroom now I use a Intrepid-ltsp with local apps and the
help from "GetMoreFromLocalApps"
see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/GetMoreFromLocalApps

localapps are : firefox vlc wine and the games "lbreakout2 pingus fillets"
It is very easy and fast to install a new localapp and you have access
to /home instead of /home/logged_in_user (<- last one I noticed testing
jaunty-ltsp, only access to home/logged_in_user)
So I can use a folder named /home/wine for wine-windows-software where
the localapp "wine" and all clients could access to.

With openoffice - I think- it is no problem to let it run on the server.

Reiner Schmid

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM, graydebowen at tiscali.co.uk
> <graydebowen at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Lets see if I have go this as I fancy a go, assuming Ubuntu 9 is out at
>> the end of April, not long to wait.
>>
>> Jaunty is Ubuntu 9, I an running LTSP on 8.10 and trying the Nubae fat
>> client approach.  This works but HIGHFAT is too much for the 2.4Ghz 256
>> MB clients,

>>> I did that with VLC and AVI file.
>>>
>> // I open this file on the LTSP server and make sure these lines are
>> set as below
>>
>>> root at ubuntu-ltsp5:~# cat /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf
>>> [default]
>>> LOCAL_APPS_MENU = True