No DHCP or no proxyDHCP offers received [SOLVED]

Nicolas Roussi nroussi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:03:05 GMT 2009

I am writing this in case someone else encounters this problem. A week ago
one of my servers started acting up; it would not share anything in the
/etc/exports and only 3 thin clients would boot up. SSH and any sudo command
was taking forever. The setup was:
Asus DSBV-DX
8GB FB Ram
3ware 9650SE 4 x 500GB Seagates RAID 5
One Xeon 2.33
PERC5 controlling an MD1000 with 15x500GB
The OS was Ubuntu 8.04 64 Bit with the edubuntu add on. I installed a few
OSes on it and it was working fine so I thought it was an Ubuntu problem but
then I installed K12LTSP and I got more or less the same error. (As a
parenthesis, it would be nice to have something like
system-config-authentication of Centos on Ubuntu for LDAP configuration
instead of jumping through hoops trying to configure an LDAP client)
I changed the motherboard to a Tyan Tempest 5300 with the same CPU and RAM,
one SATA drive, the PERC5 and a second NIC (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106114&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-)
and now everything works like before. Apparently there was something wrong
with something on the motherboard but there was nothing in the system logs,
how can that be?

--
Nicolas Roussi