Way to auto-login gnome on startup?

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 23:28:46 GMT 2009

Hi All,

Another issue to solve :)

I don´t have access to the room that will house the server for my
thin-client classroom network.  The computer has iLO so I can remotely
restart and even start a computer that is shut down.  However, I need to use
a GUI (Though I can use CLI, I´m more of a visual person than a text person)
on the server, ssh just ain´t enough...  Unfortunately, one can´t VNC into a
computer unless someone is logged into it first through GNOME.  So here´s my
thought:

On server start-up, auto log-in the admin user and upon logging in
immediately go into screen-lock up mode.  Then, I can VNC into the server
and unlock screen!  Easy, well, I don´t know if it can be done, much less
how easy to set up!  I´d appreciate any advise on the topic!

Thanks,
David