Directory tools for Edubuntu server

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 04:45:51 BST 2009

Hi All,

I need to find a better way to manage my users.  The 'Users and Groups' app
is too awkward.  With 150 users it is a long list AND it isn't even sortable
by username!  When I go to edit a group, the names are listed in a long
horizontal line, 1 user after another, separated by semicolons.

Is this a use-case for LDAP?  Is there an alternative to Users and Groups?

Also, our school already uses an LDAP (or it may be a Windows Active
Directory)--is there some way to tie into that but manage group membership
at the level of my thin client network that wouldn't interfere with the
school-wide setting?

Thanks some more!
David