Hiring Edubuntu Staff

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 04:30:59 BST 2009

Jordan, I really appreciate your focus on community and working on growing
it.  As I believe Lns. once said, the thing special about Edubuntu isn't the
software but the community.  I've learned a lot about the history of
Edubuntu and the community which uses it and has developed it.  To grow a
community one must know the community and while there may be a few people
here who do know all, is there a page, a single page, with an overview of
the different categories of community members, who they are, their needs,
strengths and knowledge?

I've watched these many dozens of e-mails these last few days, pondering my
role in it all.  Still not sure but as a teacher one of my strengths is
organizing information, 'scaffolding' learning and growing communities.
So... I propose that we need to increase our arsenal of supportive
software.  Really, the main collaborative tools of this community are a
wiki, list server, and launchpad, right?  We need tools with additional
affordances.  Googledocs is great with it's wysiwyg editor, simultaneous
editing, easy sharing and versioning.  I recommend we use this googledoc:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgschn8x_11gtf4ddgc to create an easily
editable page to provide an overview of the people who make up the
community.  I'd like to 'share' this document so all members of the edubuntu
community can edit the document.  If you would like to edit it, e-mail me
and I'll share it with the e-mail you give me.

Yours in Education,

David