ltsp local apps + nat + ....

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Fri Jul 24 21:07:34 BST 2009

R. Scott Belford wrote:
> *snip*
> The idea of limiting the focus is a good one.  I am immensely
> frustrated that first Redhat, then Novell, and now Canonical overlook
> the long-term benefits from a decided focus on the K12 market.
>
> --scott

My shot at an explanation is that "it's not a profitable market" for
huge companies like that. What I find interesting is that it's a VERY
profitable market for smaller service providers (like me, who is an
outside consultant for schools, bringing this technology to them and
helping them maintain, learn and teach it themselves).

This is the ecosystem as I see it - it is *simple* to make money with
open source software. Instead of selling the software, service providers
sell their services. They then help fund development of open source
projects they are involved with with some of the profit. Of course, a
lot of people don't care about the money. In that case, there is always
the foundation of FOSS - people who are passionate about making awesome
software together as a community.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns