ltsp local apps + nat + ....

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Fri Jul 24 05:16:22 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 05:43:15PM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Debian-Edu which, thanks to your explanations, is now the foundation
> of the work Edubuntu.

Personally, what I'd love to see would be to get a Debian-Edu person actually
*join* us over here.  That'd be great.

> only *not* to build upon Debian-Edu, at that time called Skolelinux,
> but also to replace LTSP 4.2 with LTSP 5 between the Edubuntu 7.04.
> and 7.10 releases.  It was, as we all know, a huge nightmare.  It's
> great that things have changed.

Like I say, it was a tactical decision, and, I think in hindsight, *probably*
the right one, but what it's meant is that Edubuntu became less of a polished
finished product, and more of a "research project/trailblazer".  It was bad for
users short-term, but has advanced LTSP beyond what it could have ever been
otherwise.  A net win, I think.

> single-minded focus on the end-user at times, and I have worried, and
> expressed so, that the glorious light always shone by *buntu has
> suffered here in the mud of making Edubuntu as automagic and as easy
> as its promise.

Ah, but a Project's reach should exceed it's grasp, or what's a heaven for?

With apologies to Robert Browning :)

Seriously though, you're absolutely right.  We've spent a lot of time making
some things fantastic, and other things, maybe more "endusery things" have
fallen down.

> Given the new hand-in-hand collaboration with Debian-Edu,

Well, no time like the present.  I'll sub to the debian-edu mailing list. They
got an IRC channel?

> Take
> this out of the equation, and you've got a bunch of people who like
> working on something together and are eager to see it succeed.

Amen, brother, amen.

Cheers!
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.
Systems Department |     -- Ashleigh Brilliant