local apps, apologies, and the importance of ltsp

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Wed Jul 22 19:22:23 BST 2009

Not to change the subject at all, but regarding Localapps - from my
point of view (an outside tech consultant for schools and LTSP), it is
still a fairly new technology (hasn't hit an LTS release yet, just got
introduced with 8.10 for *buntu). Keep in mind that new technology will
have its problems (even though Localapps seems to work very well for it
being new).

That being said, can you explain how Firefox is slow when run from the
server? I'm not using Jaunty (only for testing, not at schools - LTS
versions are good to keep things from breaking every so often, which is
important especially if you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to
tracking down bugs and reporting, etc.). Firefox shouldn't run slow from
the server if all other apps run fine, however. Maybe it's something we
can look at together (if you haven't already done that.. not sure what's
been gone over). I run many concurrent Firefox sessions from the server
(Ubuntu 8.04) and it works great.

Cheers,
Jordan

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

	California digital textbook initiative moves forward
	My little introduction into the Linux filesystem
	Network Bonding in Linux