Links in wiki

Ace Suares ace at suares.an
Wed Jul 22 14:22:35 BST 2009

Hi,

Dear Edubuntu Users,

I was trying to get Firefox working as a local app on my home LTSP
Server. It was very easy to set it up as per the instructions on the
Download page of edubuntu (http://edubuntu.org/Download).

Unfortunately the edubuntu.org page takes ages to load from my location,
or will not load at all. Is there some problem with the site? Other
sites load quickly.

I think it would be very good to add a link to the LTSP pages, which I
can never find in wiki.ubuntu.com.

I tried to search the wiki for 'ltsp' but I get a lot of pages but not
the 'main' entry page for all things related to LTSP. See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Home?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=ltsp&titlesearch=Titles

I also tried to search google for 'ubuntu ltsp'. The first hit is
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ThinClientHowto, which when opened,
leads to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP. But from that
page I can't find https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowtoNAT. I am
utterly confused.

Every time when I mention my utter confusion about how to find certain
information, the answers from the very nice people that make all this
possible, devs and team members and so on, comprise of the following:
- do it yourself
- join a mailing list
- you did something wrong and that's why you couldn't find it and it's
your fault
- and so on.

What started as a 5 minute addition to my own website
(http://www.suares.an/index.php?page_id=1&news_id=253#news-top) became a
more then two hours lasting foray into how to get this information into
the community documentation. And it's still not working.

A guy named Gavin helped me out tremendously. But after my last series
of 'newbie' questions, he referred me to this list. I subscribed to the
list, although I know I don't want to read all that is coming from this
list because my only goal was to quickly post some information, and not
getting involved in the entire edubuntu-users community. LTSP is not my
daily work, but sometimes I work with it and when I discover something
that might be helpful, I just want to relay that information quickly and
move on.

Thus far I had to go on IRC, mail someone via launchpad, send some
personal mails, log in to the wiki, learn to use the wiki (not very
simple), and subscribe to the mailing list to ask some questions about
the wiki.

One of the devs asked: why don't you post it to the LTSP portal instead
of putting it on your own page where no one will see it?

Well, I already knew that answer, but I tried it again just to see if
anything had changed. The answer is:
- it takes too much time to do so
- I can't find the LTSP Portal you are talking about;
- there are to0 many ostacles in doing so;
- I'd have to learn somethings that I won't use for a long time and then
I'd have to relearn it next time I want to contribute.

All that said, I have the following questions about the page I created
in the wiki, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientProxyRedirect

Why does the links in the wiki not work?
I tought I could just mention ThinClientHowtoNAT and then it would link
automatically.

And why is the page that Gavin made
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinClientHowtoNAT) in CategoryCleanup? Mine is
too becuase I used his page as an example.

And do you think it is a good idea to make a template for things
concerning thinclient? Or which general template can I copy that give me
a basic structure for making such a page? The templates offered when
creating a new page are many and from none of them it's clear what they
do or how they look.

Thx,
ace

PS for the ones that will reply to this message with 'do it yourself' or
'file a bug': I am willing to put the energy into it to completely
reorganize the information about LTSP and make it findable, but I can
never do that alone so there would need to be a team of preferably 3
people to do this chore together. But I don't know anyone here.

PPSS for those that refer parts of this mail to yet another mailing
list: nope. This is my last effort at trying to get at grips with this
community documentation. And it's definately not my first. Maybe this is
just not for me, and I am willing to take all the blame for not
understanding the concepts correctly and being dumb and all that.