how about a community script repository?

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 17 08:34:16 BST 2009

Hi Jordan

Jordan Mantha wrote:
> My idea is that maybe we can create a Launchpad project to collect and
> distribute this good work by Edubuntu users. The actual scripts can be
> put into a bazaar repository where people can contribute to them,
> collaborate together, and write some documentation (usually lacking in
> personal scripts). We can then promote the script repository on the
> wiki/website/user documentation.
>
> The concern would be to make sure that the scripts have some minimum
> quality and won't eat people machines, etc. A suggestion would be to
> have the "canonical" script repository be owned by the Edubuntu
> Members team so they can review contributions for obvious problems. Of
> course people would be free to upload their own branches on Launchpad,
> but we'd link to the canonical repository. We can write a simple "how
> to contribute" howto on the wiki for people who are not familiar with
> bazaar.
>
> Any thoughts? Is this a good idea? Would you want to contribute?
> Would you use such a repository?

Sorry for not responding to this before, I think you should go ahead and
create the repository in LP, even if we start off with a few simple
scripts, I think it would be helpful. We could also have a session on
IRC and a wiki page explaining how to checkout the scripts and how to
commit the changes back.

-Jonathan